I got sidetracked. What a surprise.

The wiper motor was like a large malignant tumor on my otherwise healthy firewall. That, and I knew a better place for it. A place that would put a little bit of weight a little bit further back. I needed to operate…stat.

Relocating the wiper motor involved cutting out the section of firewall that the motor mounted to and relocating it to the bottom of the cowl. That way, the motor itself is safely tucked away in the interior, and the arm goes into the cowl area so that the arm can still actuate the rod, which actuates the much larger arm that cleans the window. I traced the mounting plate onto the cowl, where I wanted it. I cut that area out and spot welded the motor mounting plate in. I also spot welded a patch into the gaping hole that I created in the firewall. The actuator rod had to be cut, sectioned, and welded so that both ends would properly meet up to the motor and wiper arm. Most of it is only held in with spot welds at this point. I’ll finish this next time I’m home, and update with some new photos. In the end, it should look and function as though my new location was the factory location.

One concern is that this could be a potential ingress point for water. The motor shaft enters the cowl though a hole in an elevated portion of the motor mount plate. Gravity won’t help water get in. The motor also has a rubber seal that seals against the area surrounding the shaft hole. That’ll further prevent water from entering. The relocation negligibly changes the geometry of the wiper system. Components will be stressed no more than they were in the factory configuration. Adjustment of starting position and sweep can be carried out through unbolting the motor arm from the motor shaft and from unbolting the wiper arm from its pivot. Each can be individually adjusted via rotation until desirable operation is achieved.

The sight of motor makes me cringe!

So I evicted motor from its home.

Motor is still a vagrant, but has been reunited with its surface.

Wiper motor has a new home, and it’s quite an upgrade. Motor should be pleased.

Firewall has been patched up and is on the road to recovery.

The actuator rod had to be shortened and twisted to work with this change. I measured, cut it with an angle grinder, cleaned the surfaces, welded it back together, and gave it a nice coat of black paint. The only criteria for the length is that it be such that the motor can make a full revolution without the wiper arm pivot hitting its hard stops.

Looks fine.

Edit: Here is another progress photo–a little further along now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *